While you don’t have an option about whether or not you have car insurance, you do have an option about where you buy that car insurance. There are many auto insurance agencies available on the market today and you can choose from a variety of coverages as long as you have the basics covered.
If your premium has recently gone up you can do many thing to help keep it down. You can first drive safely and avoid getting a ticket. This can help to save greatly on your car insurance premium.
Re Evaluate Every Six Months
Every six months you can also re evaluate your car insurance and get comparison quotes from other competitive companies. You can do this in person or you can do this online.
Why You Need Car Insurance
If you don’t have car insurance you can get a hefty fine and be required to have a special kind of car insurance for a period of time. This type of car insurance will be far more expensive than already having the car insurance in place. It is very important to remember that Michigan car insurance is mandatory for each and every vehicle.
Michigan has been ranked the state with the highest annual average car insurance premium in the country by Insure.com. Based on the site’s 2014 calendar year sales data with the 20 most bought 2015 car models in the US, Michigan was listed have a mean of $2,476 annually.
What Information You’ll Need To Have Available for A Quote
- When you call to get a car insurance quote you’ll need to have some information available. You’ll need the following:
- The address where you’re going to be keeping the car.
- Your drivers license number.
- A list of any tickets or accidents you may have had (these can be looked up but it’s great to already have them on hand).
- The year, make and model of the car.
- If you have any safety devices on your car you should also have that information available.
- The agent will then work up a quote for you according to the parameters that you want for coverages.
If you like the quote you can then pay the deposit or full premium and secure car insurance. If you don’t have car insurance and someone drives your car you could be sued should they be in an accident.
You could also be facing a fine of $200 to $500 and up to one year in jail. Courts could also suspend your drivers license for 30 days or until you can provide proof of insurance.
Now that you know the law and that it is mandatory to have this insurance, you can take the appropriate steps to secure car insurance for your car. If you are having problems finding a quote ask your nearest insurance agency if they handle auto insurance. If they do not, they can likely point you in the right direction for Michigan car insurance. You will have many options for coverage as long as you have the basics.